Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Ranking PLOs

Rank and discuss the importance of each Program Learning Outcome to your individual work setting.

From first to last, rank each PLO by its importance to you as an educator.

PLO 1
 Demonstrate knowledge and skills related to learning using technology.

PLO 6
 Evaluate technology resources to facilitate effective assessment and evaluation.

PLO 3
 Design learning opportunities that apply technology-enhanced instructional strategies to support the needs of all learners.

PLO 2
 Demonstrate knowledge and skills in current and emerging instructional technologies

PLO 4
 Apply research to support learning in a technology-enhanced environment.

PLO 8
 Demonstrate the ability to make informed decisions regarding the use of technology in support of learning and leadership.

PLO 7
 Utilize technology to collect and analyze data, interpret results, and communicate findings.

PLO 5
 Exemplify ethical practices of technology usage.


In my work setting, I am a special education and general education teacher at the high and middle school levels.  I found it very tough to rank these program learning outcomes because one can not be used without the other.  I feel that you need all of these outcomes and they are interconnected with each other.

PLO 1:  After working these past fourteen months and using technology in the classroom, I found that PLO 1 is used on a daily basis in my classroom.  The instructor needs to understand the core competencies and demonstrate knowledge of the learning to incorporate the technology into the classroom.   Educators need to formulate a plan to decide which technologies will be beneficial to the learning environment.  This outcome is critical to the success of all students because if the educator does not have the knowledge and skills in using technology, then it would impede the learner's progress.  Technology should be used to overlap with the instructional design strategies and help the student become successful in the classroom.  This PLO is used in my classroom through a tool called web quest.  I have created a web quest which is used to have everything that the lesson entails on one page.  I have also placed all the videos and hyperlinks so that all the information can be found in one particular spot.  The web quest allows the learner to gain knowledge and experience with the most current technology.  I feel that this PLO is the most important because it is the baseline for all technology used in the classroom.  Learning and gaining new skills will also help the educator find new ways to incorporate and tailor the education to the student's individual needs.  All learners learn differently, and it is up to the educator to master the skills required and enhance the classroom.
 
PLO 6: The next program learning outcome that is important to me as an educator is the second outcome which evaluates technology resources to create assessment and evaluations.  The first thing an educator should do is to assess and evaluate the prior knowledge of each student to understand what they should teach.  When a teacher assesses each student, it gives them a better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses as well as interests and experiences.  Assessment is an on-going process aimed at improving and understanding student learning (Spurlin, J.E., Rajala, S.A., & Lavelle, J.P., 2008).  This PLO is a crucial part of being a successful educator.  The only way to get better at something is by evaluating the way you are completing the task and then find ways to make it better.  Assessments and evaluations can be used to set groups and learning goals for each student.  I use this PLO in my classroom when I am introducing a new learning goal.  I will administer the students a six to ten questionnaire using quizlet to check for prior knowledge.  This task allows me to use the information as a starting point for the next learning goal.

PLO 3: The next program learning outcome is three because all students need to understand why we integrate technology into their learning and how it is beneficial to their everyday living.  All students will eventually use technology in their future careers.  It is important that the educator explains the meaning and why it is relevant to use in future careers. As an educator, I would make sure that I research and design technology software that the student will be comfortable and meets their learning goals.
I have found many different ways to educate and authenticate understanding of the information being presented.  The first Universal Design for Learning principle is to provide multiple means of representation (Cast, 2013).  I found that this method helps benefit learners by being presented with information on various supports.  Books, pictures or a video are used to help provide a variety of learning methods that will benefit multiple students.  By showing these tools will contribute to validate comprehension of the content being taught in the classroom.  Some of these tools have been used in my previous classes where professors asked to watch a video and share thoughts and ideas.  Our professors had giving quotes and asked to internalize and describe what the quote been to you as an educator.  Using different tools to has helped me grasp the understanding f the materials being taught and has given me a better understanding of the methods.
In my special education classroom, I use this PLO all the time.  I am always looking for new technologies to fit the students and their different learning styles.  A big issue that I have seen in the special education classroom is the lack of brainstorming.  I integrated the brainstorming ideas so that the students can work on a computer and visually create their brainstorming mind maps.  Using bubbl.us allows the students to be creative and rearrange their bubbles so that it fits their learning styles.  This PLO is in my top three because I have taught special education for the past ten years and realized that all students learn differently and need to specially designed instruction tailored to their learning.

PLO 2: Program learning outcome two demonstrates the knowledge and skills just like program learning outcome one, but this involves the current and emerging instructional technologies.  This program learning outcome is used in the autistic support classroom every day.  I have the opportunity to visit this class to see how the emerging technology like an iPad or netbook is used to communicate the needs of the students.  The iPad can be applied to the educational setting of the class because it helps the students communicate visually and verbally.  This PLO has also been used for general education students to read ebooks and complete assessments.

PLO 4: The next program learning outcome is four, and it requires the latest research to be successful as an educator.  According to Mills (2011), the teacher is the researcher that gathers the information about how the school operates, teaches, and how well their students learn.  An instructor must collect the research found and select the correct educational technology tool to meet the needs of their learner.  When the educator collects all information from research, it is imperative to determine the different types of methods and theories to assist the student.  To better assist the learner the educator must customize the instruction to meet the needs of the learners.  This PLO can be used by the educator to find new technologies to help support their students.   As I was researching high school math software, I discovered that my Go Math textbook has an online interactive personal trainer.  This software allows the student to take QR readings while they are at their house and will explain the question in detail.  This tool gives the students to one on one instruction from anywhere they have an internet connection.  Whether teachers realize it or not they are always looking for new technologies or strategies to build upon their teaching.            
         
PLO 8: Program learning outcome eight is the next important PLO which explains the ability to make informed decisions in technology.  It is observed that more classrooms are integrating technology into their classrooms which can aid student engagement and spark their interest to try new things.  Technology not only can increase student performance, skill and interest but also allows educators and administrators a way to share ideas that can be beneficial for the growth and caters to the learning style of each student.  Technology gives us the ability to be creative and collaborative in a way we have never been used before.  New forms of technology-based learning such as wikis, emails, blogs, presentations and social media sites can be utilized.  For teachers technology can be a great asset, students and parents can communicate and update student’s grades, performance, and behavior in school.
This program learning outcome will be used in the everyday classroom and changed from formal learning to informal learning.  Most traditional schools are set up for formal learning.  The content is presented from a planned structured learning environment and is more teacher-centered driven.  All the materials are administered in a traditional classroom setting with lectures, readings from textbooks, and scheduled assessments.  According to Cournoyer, “We give kids the road map; they figure out how they learn best (reinventing schools coalition).” Figuring out how learners learn best by permitting them to process the information in manners they understand and can access easier and ensure reliable access to technology (Cournoyer, 2012).   This PLO is ranked sixth because I feel that it is very tough for teachers to change or go against what the school district is telling them to teach.  Teachers follow a strictly planned unit and can not veer off track too much.  I feel that this is imperative but also tough to fix.  I can control what is being taught in my classroom to an extent.  I would try to administer instruction that is geared for the learner as an individual than a whole group.  Another way to seek to switch to an informal learning classroom is by using less paper and pencil and more electronic devices and discussion boards to engage the learner.  

PLO 7:  Program learning outcome seven is the second to last outcome that utilizes technology to collect and analyze data to better enhance the learning environment.  In using technology in the classroom, it allows the student to demonstrate the knowledge that they have learned in the classroom.  Technology also makes it quicker for educators to see what their students have learned and helps them get a better understanding of what they need to work on with the student.  When using the proper technology the learning process is more efficient for the student and it allows the teacher to measure what the student has retained.  Data through technology will also allow for the teacher to make adjustments and tailor the learning process to meet the needs of the student.  Every school has many different learning challenges that need to distinguish the learning environment for a traditional environment to assess performance and learning goals.  Assessment is an on-going process aimed at understanding and improving student learning (Spurlin, J.E., Rajala, S.A., & Lavelle, J.P., 2008).  There are many different forms of assessment and evaluation tools that teachers use in the learning environment.  The objective and purpose of assessment are to improve student learning.  Teachers use many different tools and techniques to get feedback about the mastery of the goal/objective being taught to the student.
I will use this program learning outcome with my special education class to progress monitor.  I will show each students growth through a flow chart, checklist, our through an online application (Dojo application).  The application will allow the parent to view the progress of their child for the entire school year.  As an educator, I can also use the data collected to check for understanding of the task being taught.  This program learning outcome will often be used because the purpose of educational technology is to invest and create leadership in both the student and educator.

PLO  5:  The final program learning outcome on my list is five which exemplifies ethical practices with the use of technology.  When using technology as a part of a lesson, a teacher must strive to use the ethical practices to ensure that all students are safe and being treated fairly.  I have found that students need to know that computers software is protected by copyright laws.  They also need to know that it is unlawful, as well as unethical, to make copies of textbook pages, websites, and computer programs without permission or payment of the person or persons responsible for the work.  I will use the PLO in my classroom by creating a wiki or blog that is private for only the classroom students.  This wiki or blog will allow the students to interact with each other.  The students will also have the opportunity to answer discussion questions and give feedback from their instructor and peers.  The wiki or blog will be secure and will allow the students to share their work on a private server.  The students and parents will also be asked to sign a code of ethics page, to understand how to interact with peers.  I have placed this program learning outcome and the end of my rankings because I feel that ethical practices should come as an automatic concern when choosing the technology.  I feel that if the educator is careful when researching the technology, then this program learning outcome would already be completed before introducing the technology to the learner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment